Yesterday I got an email from one of the many web sites I subscribe to that really struck a nerve and for lack of a better word PISSED me off! The subject line read "February Must Read Books". If you know me, you know I'm a sucker for a good book! Like any unsuspecting book worn would do, I opened the email only to be appalled at what I saw.
The first book that was suggested was "Marry Him: The Case for Settling For Mr. Right Now". As a single girl fast approaching my mid 20s, I will admit that at this point in my life I'm not in any hurry to get married. I don't have an overwhelming need to wear the white dress and all the insanity that comes with a wedding (someday... just a looooong time from now). I will also tell you the number one question I get from certain family members: "Are you dating anyone?" This simple question will make any happily single girl cringe. Heads up nosy people: We HATE this question!! Ask about work, school, anything but that!
I'm rambling: back to the book! Settle for Mr. Right Now?!?! Are you kidding me? What moron decided this is a good idea? I'm sorry but no girl wants to marry a guy she looks at and thinks "oh he'll do, let's get hitched!" She wants the guy that gives her butterflies & makes her feel special. Every girl wants the fairy tale. We want Richard Gere climbing the fire escape, Patrick Swayze dancing in the middle of the country club, or Patrick Dempsey following us home on a lawn mower (can you tell I'm obsessed with 80s movies?)! We want the fairy tale and we all damn well deserve it!
Let me ask you this: What guy settles for miss right now? Can you think of any guy you know who proposed to his girlfriend because she would make an "ok wife and mother"? I didn't think so! A guy goes for the girl he has to work to get, not the one who makes it easy. It's a girl's job to be choosy and only say yes when we find our version of prince charming. If we have to kiss a few frogs along the road to happily ever after, so be it. So to the author of "Marry Him", you've got it all wrong. The perfect guy is out there for every girl. If you settle for Mr. right now, you may pass up Mr. Right!
No comments:
Post a Comment